Who Am I?
My name is Nick Mabee, and I am a Communications Strategist.
I am seeking opportunities to work for public and private organizations in a capacity relating to communications, branding, or other forms of communications related management.
With years of experience in both communications and brand management, coupled with my event planning and management experience, I feel I am a competitive candidate for any position.
Much like the design process follows steps to define, analyze, and improve, the process of Observation, Interpretation, Intervention is used in project management. I choose this process because it allows me to fully take in the scope of a problem/intervention needed by both observing surface level information and critically interpreting those observations. This allows me to completely understand an issue before taking action on it.
Why is this important?
I believe this is the best process for management of projects which will be seen in public view. The process focuses both on the original statement to solve as well as outside factors including both cultural research and understanding being that companies, both public and private, are adapting to a growing world and audience.
Remember recent public image controversies like Pepsi, Seoul Secret, or Dove? Turns out some press is bad press, and it isn’t good for organizations. This process coupled with my experience will avoid putting the organization in a bad public light.
Oct 2018 – Current
IT & Communications Coordinator
LEAD-UP | Univeristy of Minnesota
- Develop, implement, and oversee IT Policy relating to equipment and software including equipment reservation and checkout and equipment/software purchasing
- Maintain and expand departmental communications policy related to branding and internal/external communications including email marketing, website management, and video production
- Create and test documents and communications to ensure materials are accessible by all audiences
Dec 2015 – May 2018
IT & Communications Specialist
Leadership Minor | Univeristy of Minnesota
- Managed wide array of projects including design work, university events and policy development
- Developed departmental marketing, communications & branding guidelines
- Headed departmental re-branding efforts including web & social media presence and marketing copy
- Re-designed and coded the departmental website
- Wrote, directed, and edited promotional and informational videos
- Ensured materials were accessible by those who were unable to access materials via conventional
- Worked with a diverse audience including students, faculty, and staff at the University as well as those
outside of the University Community
Jun 2010 – Sep 2016
Nick Mabee Design
- Started video production company and expanded to providing both web and graphic design services
- Worked with both local and international clients using a variety of communication methods
- Managed independently contracted employees, projects, and work efforts
Sep 2014 – Jan 2016
Web, Media, & Emergency Services Coordinator
Scott County Fair
- Designed and implemented social media and web communications strategies
- Developed emergency management plan for event attended by over 25,000 individuals
- Fostered relationships with local and statewide vendors for various fair materials and services
Bachelor of Arts, Communication
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
My four year B.A. at the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities focused on my major of Communications Studies and my minor Leadership. This wide range of studies & experiences has prepared me to work in a diverse work environment in the Communications or IT field with the Leadership Minor being especially effective when working across cultures and in teams.
Diploma with Honors
Shakopee High School
As a Shakopee High School student, I was involved with many community groups – mainly focusing on marketing/PR. I also did drama senior year, and made all programs, posters, and postcards for the department, with them becoming a freelance client upon my graduation.
Social Media Strategy
Adobe Creative Suite
Teamwork & Management
Director / UMN Leadership Minor
Nick has been integral to the success of our office during his time here. He sees the big picture as well as the details and is adept at working through difficult problems until they are solved. He has become a team leader and provides guidance and mentorship to his teammates.
Academic Systems Coordinator / UMN Leadership Minor
I’ve had the pleasure of supervising Nick Mabee for the past two years in the University of Minnesota Leadership Minor Office. Throughout this time, I’ve watched Nick perfect not only his amazing technical skills, but also evolve in countless other ways, including his presentation skills, interpersonal office skills, confidence, and ability to not only start a project, but finish it with relatively little assistance. Nick has a natural ability to identify unmet needs and problem solve to ensure a low-cost, effective, and user-friendly solution. Throughout his short two years in the Leadership Minor, Nick has significantly improved our image, including creating brand new websites, standardizing branding, creating standardized templates, etc. I would highly recommend Nick!
I believe that it is a civic duty to get out and volunteer with the community in order to help further its development. Below are just a few of the various organizations I am/have been involved with.
Shakopee Dollars for Scholars
- Review and update website for timely needs
- Work on fliers and other marketing material when needed
Campaign Communications Specialist
Mary4MN Congressional Candidate, House District 55A
- As the communications adviser to the campaign of Mary Hernandez for Minnesota State Representative, my job is to
- Update the campaign’s social media and website
- Check in on campaign-related emails and provide responses
- Allowed me to explore various aspects of design work for campaign materials as well as working with Information Technology systems
Student Conduct Board, University of Minnesota
- Review student and staff disciplinary rulings
- Re-assign sanctions and learning activities for behavior as necessary
Scott County Extension Advisory Committee
- Review extension activities
- Make appropriate recommendations to staff
Communications & PR Director
Shakopee Diversity Alliance
- Develop and maintain SDA website and business directory
- Coordinate media efforts
- Design all brochures, business cards, etc.
Scott County 4-H & 4-H Executive Board
- Plan and implement childrens activities and day-camps
- Served as Youth Representative, Vice President, and Treasurer
- Manage 4-H Building During County Fair
- Direct youth and adult volunteers
Marketing & Branding Plans
Leadership Education and Development – Undergraduate Programs | Branding Guideline Document
Leadership Enrichment Programs | 5 Year Strategic Plan (Branding, design, and some content editing)
Nick Mabee Design | Marketing Plan (made for a class at the University of Minnesota as a group)
Political Advertising Disclosure Regulations on Facebook (Senior Thesis) | Research Paper
Informal Published Blog Posts
My Journey Seeking to Understand #BlackLivesMatter | Views from the Leadership
Engaging Young Leaders Promo | University of Minnesota Leadership Minor
Company Promotional Video | Aquatic Recreation Company
Preschool Promotional Video | Shakopee Area Catholic School
Promotional Video | Musicals with a Mission
based in Minneapolis, USA
Tel : (952) 463-6273
nick.j.mabee [at] gmail.com